Thursday, December 9, 2010

Most Effective Teacher

I have had many amazing teachers throughout my school career each with their own unique way of teaching. The most effective teacher I have had though was Mr. Love, my eighth grade algebra teacher. I never liked math and I always struggled with understanding it. However, Mr. Love was somehow able to transcend all that and help me actually learn the material. He a had a very nonconventional and unpredictable way of teaching. Some days he would use the projector to display some problems and some days he would have problems on the board for us to solve. Although he would use the math book for reference, he preferred to teach from his own mind and memory, using his own knowledge to ensure we can learn the material. A question I always had when faced with a difficult math concept was when I am I ever going to use this in real life? Mr. Love made sure we knew why we were learning the concepts we were learning. He related the material to real life applications and sure enough, there was some material that will be necessary and useful in everyday life. I still have to know how to take off a percent discount when I go to a mall and algebra helped me learn how to do that. Mr. Love was also very passionate about his students. He wanted his students to achieve the highest scores on the California State test and even made Saturday classes to get in extra help. Mr. Love obviously cared about his students and our education.

No comments:

Post a Comment