Thursday, December 9, 2010

Effects of Lack of Sleep

When we were younger, we never wanted to secede to sleep’s seduction. We fought against it with all our might and refused to take naps. Ironically, now we crave our sleep and count those precious hours of rest and relaxation or else suffer terrible consequences for the lack of it. I know that when I don’t sleep well or enough, the rest of my day is a horrible 12 hours. I am moody, sad, detached, and easily annoyed. I can never pay attention to what I’m doing so this negatively affects my schoolwork and regular work. Driving becomes dangerous; research shows that driving while drowsy is as dangerous as driving while under the influence of drugs or alcohol. I also feel quite lethargic and my only thought is when I will be able to go back to bed. This causes me to fall asleep in class and is another reason why sleep negatively affects my schoolwork. Also, when I am sleep-deprived, I tend to eat more because my hormones are out of balance. I crave fattier foods and foods I normally would have the sense to stay away from if I hadn’t been sleepy. Thus, less sleep is equivalent to gaining more weight. Research also shows that the more you sleep, the less likely it is that you will gain weight because when you’re sleeping you’re not eating. I hate whenever I don’t get enough sleep. I don’t feel like myself and I don’t function properly. I should get at least 9 hours but with all the homework I have, I usually get about 6.

1 comment:

  1. maggie.danhakl@healthline.comOctober 30, 2014 at 1:12 AM

    Hi,

    I hope all is well with you. Healthline just published an infographic detailing the effects of sleep deprivation on the body. This is an interactive chart allowing the reader to pick the side effect they want to learn more about.

    You can see the overview of the report here: http://www.healthline.com/health/sleep-deprivation/effects-on-body

    Our users have found our guide very useful and I thought it would be a great resource for your page: http://vivaciousprincess.blogspot.com/2010/12/effects-of-lack-of-sleep.html

    I would appreciate it if you could review our request and consider adding this visual representation of sleep deprivation to your site or sharing it on your social media feeds.

    Please let me know if you have any questions.

    All the best,
    Maggie Danhakl • Assistant Marketing Manager

    Healthline • The Power of Intelligent Health
    660 Third Street, San Francisco, CA 94107
    www.healthline.com | @Healthline | @HealthlineCorp

    About Us: corp.healthline.com

    ReplyDelete