Wednesday, December 8, 2010

Living in the late 1800s

If I could live during any decade, I would live in the late 1800s-Early 1900s in New York. I would want to be part of New York high society class. I absolutely love how carefree those privileged people lived their lives. There was always a ball they had to attend and the girls always wore beautiful, elegant dresses. The boys would have to make appointments to see the girls they liked and everything was formal. I would love to experience this. There would always be something I had to do and somewhere I had to be. My name would be in the papers and my every move would be scrutinized by the papers. My milestones (birthdays, boyfriends, etc) would have the complete attention of the public. My tragedies would be their misfortunes and they would feel my pain. Whenever I had a new boyfriend, the papers would run hundreds of articles on when it occurred, what type of flowers he brought, and if marriage was in the near future. Oh and the scandals! My family would be rivals to another family and it would be simply unthinkable that I should be in a relationship with the son of that other family because our families hated each other. Yet, what we would feel would be true love that transcends beyond all family squabbles and lineage roots. I would go shopping in all the best stores and the store owners would close down the stores just so that I may shop in peace. Oh, and the details of my wedding would be of the utmost secrecy and even a small detail would spur an explosion of the press. Oh, perhaps this is a fantasy but the girls who lived in this era lived this same fantasy.

No comments:

Post a Comment