Tuesday, November 23, 2010

Personal Essay

Eminem, in his song “Lose Yourself”, stated that “Opportunities come/Once in a lifetime”. Basically, he’s saying to never let an opportunity pass you by because there are no second chances. I had never understood this quite until I failed to take advantage of an opportunity and was then left with a heartbreaking disappointment.
            I am a self-proposed shopaholic; shopping is my own personal drug. It is not uncommon for me to go on random shopping sprees and snatch up whatever I like at the moment. My biggest outcome of the sprees is dresses; I own too many dresses to actually wear. One warm summer day, I went to my local mall to seek refuge from the heat and of course, spend money. I strolled into Windsor, casually glancing at all the dresses, when I saw It! The most beautiful dress I had ever laid eyes on was perched high above the wall on a hanger for everyone to admire. It was a fuchsia ball gown with a V-neck halter neckline, corset lacing top, and hundreds of glittery sparkling stones. I immediately demanded that I try it on. I instantly fell in love with it when I looked at myself in the mirror; the corset top, covered eith an intricate design of sequins, stones, and crystals, made my waist look tiny while the bottom waterfall of ruffles complimented the hourglass shape. When I walked I felt as if I was wearing a pink cloud. I felt, not like a princess, but like a queen.
            So now what to do with the masterpiece? At the time I didn’t have an occasion to wear it so it would just sit in my closet collecting dust until the right moment arose to let it shine. Four hundred dollars was also a lot of money to spend on something I wasn’t going to wear. At least, this is how I reasoned with myself so as to stop myself from running to the cashier with the dress on and walking out the store like that. Instead, I decided to leave it and ponder for a few days whether or not I should buy it.  I went home and thought about how amazing the dress looked and how beautiful it was. In fact, I kept thinking about it every day for 3 straight weeks. Finally, after a month of deliberating, I went back to Windsor with the intent to buy the dress. When I asked the sales woman where the dress was, she gave me a pitiful look and said, “Oh I’m sorry, we’re out of stock. But I can show you some other nice ones if you’d like,” No I don’t want other nice ones! I wanted MY dress!
            As you might very well have guessed, I left the store that day heartbroken and disappointed. Life is notorious for teaching us hard lessons and I can now attest to that fact. I learned that whenever an opportunity arises, I should take advantage of it immediately. The longer I take to “think over it” the less chance I have of actually getting it. Life doesn’t wait for anybody; I should never think it was going to for me. So next time I see a dress I completely adore, I will buy it. I might wait a day or two, but I will never waste time envisioning something I could simply make a reality.

No comments:

Post a Comment