Thursday, September 9, 2010

When I was Brave

For most people, brave moments include courageous acts of killing a spider, standing up to a bully, or facing the simple fear of the dark. However, for me, I had to sum up tremendous amounts of courage to face myself, my lies, my past, and my life. For years I repressed certain events and feelings that had tremendous impacts on me. Instead, I fooled myself into believing my life was exceptionally perfect. I refused to even think that my life was any different or any less than perfect. If I ever began to doubt myself, I instantly found a way to distract myself from whatever was bothering me. I was too scared of what was lurking in the darkest corners of my mind. Recently, however, I forced myself to face my fear of myself. I let out every lie I had told myself and the world and accepted that I'm not perfect. Yes, perhaps I did get scared and tried to run away again, but the point is, I was brave. I did face my fears and did what I once thought was impossible. I am by no means saying I'm Wonder Woman, but I got past too many things to refuse being proud of myself. I looked down that dark alley and I finally got the courage to walk through it. When you go down a path like that, it's hard to go back to how things used to be. I wouldn't want to anyway, given the choice, because then my act of courage would've been obsolete and a waste of my time.

1 comment:

  1. or in my case...attacking a grasshopper wit a broom and screaming at it to die!

    ReplyDelete